A Framework for Junior Cycle is underpinned by eight principles and twenty-four statements of learning. These are applicable to all students at Junior Cycle so the principles and features of L2LPs are aligned with them and further elaborate on them. Specifications for subjects and short courses as described by A Framework for Junior Cycle are:
• outcomes based
• reflect a continuum of learning with a focus on learner
• set out clear expectations for learners
• provide examples of those expectations
• include a focus on the eight key skills of junior cycle
• clear, consistent and as accessible as possible
These characteristics also feature in the specifications of the Priority Learning Units of L2LPs and in the Level 2 short courses developed for study by students undertaking L2LPs.